I have been making this for years - and I keep making it with ham leftover from a baked ham. I use cream of mushroom soup as my sauce maker, green chilies, frozen green beans, minced garlic, and parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. It is delicious and my family loves it. It is a complete meal in one dish so we usually have it with rolls. I love it so much that I haven't tried any of the other variations! What a flexible and easy recipe - and the taste is outstanding.
Invent Your Own Casserole
- 1 (8-ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Choose one from each category:
- Sauce Makers:
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can Cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- Choose one Fish/Meat/Poultry:
- 2 (6-ounce) cans solid white tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
- Choose one Pasta/Rice:
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 3 cups uncooked medium shells
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- Choose one Frozen Vegetable:
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen cut broccoli
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen Italian green beans
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen English peas
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen sliced yellow squash
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- Choose one or more Extras (Optional):
- 1 (3-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 (1 1/4-ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
- Combine 1 (8-ounce) carton sour cream, 1 cup milk, 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper with Sauce Maker (omit sour cream and milk when using tomatoes). Stir in Pasta/Rice, Frozen Vegetable, Fish/Meat/Poultry, and if desired, Extras.
- Spoon casserole mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish; sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
- Cover and bake casserole at 350º for 1 hour and 10 minutes; uncover and bake 10 additional minutes.
- Chicken Casserole: Cream of chicken soup, broccoli, rice, chicken, Parmesan cheese, and breadcrumbs.
- Ham Casserole: Cream of celery soup, Italian green beans, wide egg noodles, ham, garlic, and 2 portions Swiss cheese.
- Turkey Casserole: Italian-style diced tomatoes, spinach, medium pasta shells, turkey, onion, garlic, mozzarella cheese, adn breadcrumbs.
- Vegetarian Casserole: Italian-style diced tomatoes, yellow squash, rice, olives, 4 portions celery, 4 portions bell pepper, garlic, parmesan cheese, and breadcrumbs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles