Russians are known for drinking vodka straight, but there's also a tradition of flavoring vodkas with herbs and spices. Our infusions range from traditional caraway to updated saffron-orange. Use 2 cups vodka with any of the following. Combine vodka and flavorings in a jar and store at room temperature for at least two days or up to several months. Chill in the freezer before serving.
- Various spices (see below)
- 2 cups vodka
- Anise vodka: Add 2 whole star anise and 1 tablespoon anise seeds to vodka.
- Caraway vodka: Add 2 tablespoons caraway seeds to vodka.
- Ginger vodka: Add 6 quarter-size slices peeled fresh ginger to vodka with 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger.
- Hot chili vodka: Halve 1 rinsed fresh habanero or other hot chili lengthwise through stem; add half the chili to vodka. Habaneros are extremely hot; if you are sensitive to heat, substitute a milder chili, such as jalapeño.
- Lemon-coriander vodka: Lightly crush 1 tablespoon coriander seeds in a mortar or with the bottom of a heavy glass and add to vodka with 1 tablespoon slivered lemon peel.
- Peppercorn vodka: Lightly crush 1 teaspoon single- or multi-colored peppercorns in a mortar or with the bottom of a heavy glass; add to vodka.
- Saffron-orange vodka: Add 1/8 teaspoon loosely packed saffron threads and 1 tablespoon slivered orange peel to vodka.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine