This was incredibly easy and quite good. I did marinate the shrimp for the full hour. Rather than grilling it, I removed the shrimp/pepper/ginger/garlic from the liquid with a slotted spoon, and then I sauteed it in a pan coated with cooking spray. I added the sauce at the last minute and served it all over rice. We enjoyed the softly sweet peanut flavor, but you could easily omit the added sugar if you prefer more of a peanut punch. This would be great to assemble earlier in the day and then flash saute at dinnertime.
Indonesian Shrimp Sate with Creamy Peanut Sauce
Make a shrimp version of this popular Indonsian grilled dish by marinating shrimp in soy sauce and ginger and serving with a traditional peanut sauce made with peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice, and cilantro.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 234
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 29.1g
- Carbohydrate: 10.8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 194mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 390mg
- Calcium: 73mg
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cooking spray
- 4 lime wedges
- To prepare marinade, combine first 7 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning bag occasionally. Remove shrimp and bell pepper from bag; discard marinade.
- To prepare the sauce, combine coconut milk, peanut butter, lime juice, and sugar in a blender, and process until smooth. Stir in cilantro; set aside.
- Prepare grill.
- Thread shrimp and bell pepper onto each of 4 (12-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes or until done, turning once. Remove from heat; drizzle each serving with 1 tablespoon peanut sauce. Serve with remaining peanut sauce and lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note