SO GOOD. I wish I had made more! I used skim milk, parmesan and asiago mix, and whole wheat panko bread crumbs. I also sprinkled some cheese on top of the bread crumbs before broiling. This will be a new regular side dish in my house.
Individual Spinach-Asiago Gratins
This take on creamed spinach is a fine accompaniment to steak, and it also goes well with grilled lamb chops.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 gratin)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 118
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Carbohydrate: 14.2g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 309mg
- Calcium: 234mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Walla Walla or other sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10-ounce) bag fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Asiago cheese
- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add butter; swirl pan until butter melts. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add half of the spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach begins to wilt, stirring frequently. Add remaining half of spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat.
- Place flour in a small bowl; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Stir flour mixture into spinach mixture; add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Divide mixture evenly among 4 (4-ounce) ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray. Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Place bread in a food processor; process until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Add parsley; pulse 3 times or until combined. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons breadcrumb mixture over each serving. Broil 1 minute or until browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables