Individual Peach-and-Almond Gratins
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe peaches (3 large), peeled and cut into thin wedges (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup almond paste, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Combine granulated sugar and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and stir until mixture is smooth. Add the peaches, and toss to coat. Divide mixture evenly among 4 (6-ounce) ramekins or baking dishes. (To allow extra room for ice cream, use 8-ounce ramekins.)
- Combine the oats and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in almonds. Sprinkle oat mixture evenly over peaches.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet, and bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until topping is browned and peaches are bubbly. Serve warm or at room temperature. Top each serving with a scoop of ice cream, if desired.
- Shortcut Savvy: To save prep time, or if peaches aren't in season, substitute 1 (16-ounce) package of frozen sliced peaches, thawed and undrained. To omit almond paste, stir 1 teaspoon almond extract into the sugar mixture before tossing with the peaches. Then increase the oats to 3/4 cup and the butter to 3 tablespoons in the topping. Simplify by baking the entire dessert in an 8-inch square baking dish.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This