My family really liked this. I served it as a side dish with Southern Living's Oven-Baked Barbecue Chicken and a potato salad. I will definitely make again because it is so different and also easy to make.
Individual Corn Custards with Bacon-Potato Crust
Photo: Jan Smith
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 158
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 8g
- Carbohydrate: 22.9g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 354mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- 3 bacon slices
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears), divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup crushed baked potato chips (about 1 ounce)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside. Add 2 cups corn, onion, jalapeño, and garlic to drippings in pan; sauté 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Place remaining 1 cup corn and 1/4 cup milk in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Pour pureed corn mixture into a medium bowl. Add the sautéed corn mixture, remaining 1 cup milk, flour, salt, black pepper, and eggs, stirring with a whisk until well combined. Divide mixture evenly among 6 (6-ounce) ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray.
- Place ramekins in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in center of each custard comes out clean. Remove pan from oven.
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine bacon and potato chips; sprinkle about 1 1/2 tablespoons bacon mixture over each custard. Broil for 1 minute or until browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables