The strudels were good, but could definately use a little bit of tweaking. I found the 4 cups of apples to not make the strudels full enough. I used apples & pears, tasted good, but it wavered on the bland side. I used cinnamon and cloves instead of cardamom, but would use twice the recommended amount next time to give them more flavor. The phyllo dough made them very flaky, a bit too much. 1 strudel=4sheets of phyllo and I would cut out a sheet or two. You will definately need a tall glass of water to help get the phyllo down, it was getting stuck in peoples throats. Overall a good recipe to try, but needs some extra personal touches for them to be worth the effort.
Individual Apple Strudels
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
You can make these several hours ahead; tent loosely with foil and leave at room temperature. Put in a 400° oven for a few minutes to warm and crisp just before serving.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 strudel)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 278
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Carbohydrate: 41.8g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 11.5mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 261mg
- Calcium: 19mg
- 1/2 cup shelled dry-roasted pistachios
- 4 cups diced peeled apple (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 32 (14 x 9-inch) sheets frozen whole-wheat phyllo dough, thawed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Place pistachios in a food processor; process until finely ground.
- 3. Combine apple, turbinado sugar, cornstarch, and cardamom in a large bowl; toss well.
- 4. Stack 2 phyllo sheets on a large cutting board or work surface (cover remaining dough to keep from drying). Lightly brush phyllo stack with butter; sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon ground pistachios. Top with 2 more phyllo sheets. Spoon about 1/2 cup apple mixture along 1 short edge of phyllo stack, leaving a 2-inch border on all sides. Fold over the long edges of phyllo to cover about 1 1/2 inches of apple mixture on each end. Starting at short edge with 2-inch border, roll up jelly-roll fashion. (Do not roll tightly, or the strudel may split.) Place strudel, seam side down, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo sheets, butter, pistachios, and apple mixture to form 8 strudels total.
- 5. Pierce each strudel 2 times with a fork. Brush tops with remaining butter. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar. Serve strudels warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This