Indian-Spiced Sockeye and Grilled Potato Salad
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Food Styling: Randy Mon
The potatoes get crisp at the edges, making this dish a little like fish and chips.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
2 Hours, 25 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 543
- Calories from fat: 47%
- Protein: 39g
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Sodium: 712mg
- Cholesterol: 109mg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- About 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups plain low-fat yogurt, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 sockeye salmon fillets (each about 5 oz. and 3/4 in. thick), skinned
- 1 1/4 pounds red potatoes, sliced 1/4 in. thick
- Cooking oil spray
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus cilantro sprigs
- 1. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cook until they pop, 2 to 3 minutes. All at once, stir in remaining spices and 1 1/2 tsp. salt; cook until fragrant, 30 to 45 seconds. Remove from heat and whisk in 1/2 cup yogurt.
- 2. Stir 3 tbsp. spice mixture with remaining 3/4 cup yogurt in a bowl; chill. In a shallow bowl, combine remaining spice mixture with lemon juice and 3 tbsp. water. Let cool. Add salmon, turn to coat, and chill, covered, at least 1 1/2 hours or overnight.
- 3. Heat grill to medium (350° to 450°). Transfer salmon to a plate. Turn potatoes in marinade. Let reserved yogurt sauce stand at room temperature. Spray 2 perforated grill pans* with cooking oil spray, then arrange potatoes in a single layer over 1 1/2 pans, spray them with oil, and spray salmon. Reserve remaining marinade.
- 4. Grill potatoes, covered, until browned on underside, 15 minutes. Turn over, brush with remaining marinade, and cook until second side is brown, 5 to 8 minutes; as done, transfer to a bowl and keep warm. Meanwhile, set salmon oiled side down on empty half of grill pan; cook, turning once, until just cooked through, 5 minutes total.
- 5. Toss potatoes with onion and chopped cilantro, then spoon onto plates. Add salmon and garnish with cilantro sprigs. Serve with reserved yogurt sauce and add more salt to taste.
- *Or fold 2 sheets of foil in half. Poke dime-size holes in them about 2 in. apart, using a small knife.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes