- 4 pieces boned salmon fillet (6 oz. each; about 1 in. thick)
- 2 sweet onions (1 lb. total), peeled and slivered
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds (see notes)
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cardamom, ground cumin, and salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each pepper, ground cloves, and ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Lemon wedges
- calories 418
- caloriesfromfat 50 %
- protein 32 g
- fat 23 g
- satfat 6.9 g
- carbohydrate 21 g
- fiber 1.9 g
- sodium 456 mg
- cholesterol 106 mg
How to Make It
Rinse salmon and pat dry. Line a 12- by 18-inch baking pan with foil and set pieces, skin down, 1 inch apart in pan. Scatter onions around salmon.
In a small bowl, stir together butter, brown sugar, coriander, fennel seeds, cayenne, cardamom, cumin, salt, pepper, cloves, and cinnamon. Stir in lemon juice. Brush mixture evenly over tops and sides of salmon pieces.
Bake in a 400° oven for 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil; broil salmon 6 inches from heat until top is bubbling and well browned and fish is opaque but still moist-looking in the center of the thickest part (cut to test), 4 to 6 minutes.
With a spatula, transfer salmon pieces to a serving dish (leave skin behind) and surround with onions. Sprinkle with cilantro and garnish with lemon wedges.
Grind fennel seeds by pulsing in a blender or crushing in a mortar.