Indian Spice-Stuffed Okra
Thomas J. Story
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 131
- Calories from fat: 72%
- Protein: 2g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 8.8g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sodium: 199mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin rings
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 pound small, tender okra
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons amchoor* (dried mango powder) or 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1. Cook onion in 2 tbsp. oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, stirring, until deep golden brown, about 15 minutes; transfer to a bowl as cooked and season with salt.
- 2. Trim okra stems without piercing pods (leave a bit of stem on).
- 3. Mix 1/2 tsp. salt and the spices (but not lemon juice, if using) in a bowl. Slit each okra pod lengthwise from just below stem to 1/2 in. from tip. Poke a finger into slit to hold it open and stuff with some spices.
- 4. Add okra and remaining oil to pan. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned, 5 minutes, tipping pan occasionally. Add 1/2 cup water and lemon juice, if using; quickly cover and simmer until okra is tender-crisp, 5 minutes. Toss gently with onion.
- *Buy in Indian markets or at worldspice.com.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables