- 1 (16-ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bay leaf
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup vermouth or other dry, white wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Rind of 1 orange, cut into very thin, 1/2-inch-long strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
Combine tomatoes, carrot, onion, bay leaf, lemon rind, and peppercorns in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 8 minutes. Strain mixture, discarding pulp.
Return strained tomato mixture to saucepan; place over medium heat. Stir in broth, wine, and sugar; heat just to boiling. Stir in salt, pepper, and orange juice; heat thoroughly.
Ladle soup into individual bowls; garnish with orange rind and chopped parsley. Serve immediately as an appetizer.
Note: Indian River Soup may be served chilled with 2 tablespoons vodka in each bowl.