I added a chopped onion and sauteed this with the potatoes and spices, then finished off in the oven for 30 mins on 375'. Delicious flavours.
Indian Potatoes with Black and Yellow Mustard Seeds
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 223
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 4.3g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Sodium: 399mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 4 tablespoons canola or other vegetable oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons black or brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 pounds small Yukon Gold potatoes, rinsed but not peeled, halved
- About 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1. Heat 2 tbsp. oil and mustard seeds in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, covered, just until seeds start to pop. Stir in cumin seeds and turmeric; then stir in potatoes, 1 tsp. salt, and pepper.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium low and add 1 tbsp. water. Cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 3. Add remaining 2 tbsp. oil, coriander, cumin, cayenne, and salt to taste. Cook, uncovered, turning occasionally, until potatoes are golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables