This dal is Delicious! And with ingredients I carry as 'stock' in my kitchen. I did add several whole cardamon pods; discard before eating. Used red lentils. Will make this again; and give the recipe to friends. Easy to make too. (I used all fresh ingredients except for the seeds/powder/lentils). A must to all good recipes, in my opinion. Thanks for a wonderful and healthy dal!
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 303
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Sodium: 67mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 quart vegetable or fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups dried Red Chief lentils (12 oz.; see notes), sorted and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- About 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeño chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground dried turmeric
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir oil, cumin, and cardamom just until spices are fragrant, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Add broth, lentils, onion, 1/4 cup cilantro, ginger, chilies, garlic, and turmeric. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring often, until lentils fall apart, about 15 minutes.
- 2. Ladle dal into bowls, sprinkle with more cilantro, and add salt to taste.
You can also use Canary or Crimson lentils.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note