I really enjoyed this dish. I crushed the seeds with a mortar and pestle to bring out their flavor. I don't know where to get a 19 oz can of beans so I used a 15 oz can. My one complaint is that I think this recipe feeds two or three people rather than four as a main dish. Also next time I will wilt the spinach in the chickpea mixture rather than separately as I don't think that was necessary. I served this with whole wheat flat bread.
Indian Chickpeas over Garlic Spinach
This recipe relies on several spices, such as fennel seeds, cumin seeds, coriander, and red pepper, for a simple, homemade curry powder. Measuring out the separate spices is worth the extra effort; it has a brighter flavor than packaged curry powder. The fennel and cumin seeds add a pleasing crunch and pungency.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 247
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 13.8g
- Carbohydrate: 46.1g
- Fiber: 11.3g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 5.7mg
- Sodium: 882mg
- Calcium: 251mg
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced onion
- 1 1/2 cups canned vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (19-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and divided
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 16 cups chopped spinach (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth and next 5 ingredients (broth through red pepper), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Place 1/2 cup chickpeas in a food processor; process until minced. Add minced chickpeas and remaining chickpeas to onion mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Add spinach; sauté 3 minutes or until spinach is just wilted.
- Spoon 1/2 cup spinach mixture onto each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 3/4 cup chickpea mixture; dollop each serving with 2 tablespoons yogurt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes