- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- 2 14-oz. cans low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets (about 4 cups)
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup light unsweetened coconut milk
- Cooked rice and chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- calories 211
- fat 8 g
- satfat 4 g
- protein 7 g
- carbohydrate 32 g
- fiber 6 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- sodium 553 mg
How to Make It
Warm oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add cumin seeds; stir until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add ginger, coriander, turmeric and 1 tsp. salt; sauté 2 minutes longer.
Stir in broth and potatoes, raise heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in carrots, cauliflower and chickpeas. Cover and simmer until vegetables are cooked through, about 12 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and cook 5 minutes longer.
Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve stew over rice, garnished with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Make it ahead
TO FREEZE: Let cool; transfer to a freezer-safe container (leave 1/2-inch space at the top); freeze.
TO SERVE: Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a covered pot over medium-low heat, stirring, until warm, about 40 minutes.