Sublime - the hint of cardamom was especially delicious, and the bread was melt-in-your mouth where it had soaked the most during chilling. I used the rose-flower water, but wish the flavor had come through more, and would increase the amount next time!
Indian Bread Pudding with Cardamom Sauce
Randy Mayor; Katie Stoddard
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 272
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 41.9g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 352mg
- Calcium: 191mg
- 9 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon rose-flower water (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare pudding, trim crusts from bread. Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet; brush with melted butter. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until toasted.
- Remove bread from oven; cool 5 minutes on a wire rack. Cut each slice into 4 squares. Arrange squares in overlapping rows in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine evaporated milk, 3 tablespoons sugar, and rose-flower water, if desired, stirring well with a whisk. Pour mixture evenly over bread. Cover with foil; chill 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake pudding, covered, at 350° for 15 minutes.
- To prepare sauce, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and egg yolks in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Heat whole milk in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around the edge (do not boil). Gradually add hot whole milk to egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Place milk mixture in pan; cook over low heat 6 minutes or until mixture coats the back of a spoon, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; stir in cardamom.
- Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 5 minutes or until sauce cools to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Arrange 6 warm bread pudding squares on each of 6 dessert plates. Top each serving with about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce and 1/2 teaspoon pistachios.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts