The only suggestion I would make would be to cut the amount of rice in half. Otherwise the curry flavor is too mellow and my family really likes flavorful food.
Indian Baked Chicken Pockets
Prep: 25 min., Cook: 5 min., Bake: 20 min.
Yield: Makes 18 appetizer servings
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (9-ounce) jar mango chutney
- 1. Prepare basmati rice according to package directions.
- 2. Cook curry powder in a medium skillet over medium heat about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add oil, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add onion, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice. Add rice, chicken, salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute.
- 3. Roll one pastry sheet into a 12-inch square on a lightly floured surface. Cut pastry into 9 (4-inch) squares.
- 4. Stir together egg and 2 tablespoons water; lightly brush edges of pastry squares with mixture.
- 5. Place 2 tablespoons rice mixture on each square, and fold over to form a triangle. Press edges to seal. Repeat procedure with remaining pastry and filling. Brush tops with remaining egg mixture, and place on a baking sheet.
- 6. Bake at 400º for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with chutney.
- INDIAN PARTY POCKETS: Stir 1/3 cup golden raisins, 1/4 cup chopped almonds, and 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro into prepared chicken mixture, and proceed as directed. For a creamy dipping sauce, stir 1 cup plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, and 1/4 teaspoon each of curry powder, ground red pepper, salt, and pepper into the mango chutney.
- NOTE: To make smaller appetizers, cut each pastry sheet into 16 (3-inch) squares, top with about 1 tablespoon rice mixture, and proceed as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers