Been making this for years. Whole family loves it! Sometimes we make it with homemade pancakes other times just use flour tortillas, better with thin homemade pancakes but ok either way. I add lots of mushrooms, whatever variety is available, spinach or kale, bean sprouts, whatever vegetables are laying around. Unlike other reviewers my family really likes the egg and I just scramble it and leave it in big chunks. I add soy sauce and sesame oil to the egg for extra flavor! My daughter is vegetarian so I often leave out the chicken.
In-a-Pinch Moo Shu Chicken
This moo shu chicken recipe offers a shortcut, calling for flour tortillas instead of the typical homemade pancakes typical of the Chinese dish. Serve with fresh fruit.
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 2 tortilla wraps)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 322
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 26.6g
- Carbohydrate: 36.1g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 762mg
- Calcium: 111mg
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cups packaged cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Heat a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons egg substitute; cook 1 minute or until done. Remove egg to a cutting board. Repeat procedure with remaining egg substitute. Cut egg into thin strips; set aside.
- Place chicken in a food processor; pulse until finely ground. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, garlic, and ginger; cook 3 minutes, stirring to crumble. Stir in coleslaw, zucchini, onions, salt, and pepper; cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in hoisin.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon 3/4 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; top each with about 1 tablespoon egg strips. Roll up.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note