This burger turned out so well! I mixed half ground beef and half ground lamb which is a great combination. I loved the way the mustard spread tasted with the potato and meat. Yum!
Idaho Lamb Burgers
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 599
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 37g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 1284mg
- Cholesterol: 103mg
- 8 ounces russet potato, peeled, shredded, and soaked in water for a few minutes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound ground lamb, such as Lava Lake Lamb*
- 4 slices (4 oz.) sheep's-milk cheese, such as Lark's Meadow Farms*
- Onion rolls, split
- 4 leaves butter lettuce
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard, such as Sun Valley* Chardonnay Wine Mustard
- 1. Mix drained potato, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and chives in a medium bowl. Heat 1 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Drop potato mixture into pan in 4 mounds and spread to form cakes. Cook until well browned on each side, turning once, about 5 minutes total.
- 2. Heat grill to medium (350° to 450°). Mix lamb with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper, in a large bowl until just combined (do not overmix). Divide into 4 portions and form into 1/2-in. patties with a slight depression in the center of each to help them cook evenly. Brush with remaining 1 tsp. oil.
- 3. Grill burgers, covered, turning once, until done the way you like, about 7 minutes for medium-rare. In last few minutes, lay a slice of cheese on each burger to melt and lay rolls on grill to toast.
- 4. Lay 1 lettuce leaf, then a cheeseburger, on bottom of each roll. Set potato cakes on top. Mix mayonnaise and mustard, dollop about 2 tsp. onto roll tops, and set on burgers.
- *Available at lavalakelamb.com, larksmeadowfarms.com, and sunvalleymustard.com
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per burger.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note