- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 2-inch-wide chunks French or Italian bread
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon red- or white-wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
How to Make It
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Slice an "X" in the bottoms of the tomatoes, submerge them for 20 seconds, then immediately place in a bowl of ice-cold water. Slip off peel, then core and quarter tomatoes.
Soak bread in a small bowl of cold water for 2 minutes. Squeeze out the excess moisture.
Put all ingredients, except garnishes, in a large bowl and stir well. Working in batches, blend the mixture in a food processor or blender until almost smooth. Taste for seasoning.
Place garnishes in small bowls and serve.
How kids can help: Squeeze out bread, mix ingredients, arrange garnishes.