- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Sliced fresh strawberries (optional)
How to Make It
Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
Pour batter into a greased and floured 9- x 5- x 3-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool. Slice cake and serve with ice cream and strawberries, if desired.