- 1 (8-ounce) package hushpuppy mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sliced jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups CRISCO Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/4 pounds U.S. FARM-RAISED CATFISH fillets (about 4 fillets)
- VIVA Paper Towels
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Spicy Tartar Sauce
How to Make It
Stir together first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
Pour oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat (oil should be to a depth of 1/2 inch in skillet); heat oil to 350°.
Pat catfish dry with paper towels, and cut into bite-size pieces. Dredge catfish pieces in flour, and then dip in hushpuppy batter mixture. Drop catfish pieces into hot oil, and fry, in batches, 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Serve with Spicy Tartar Sauce.