- 1 1/2 cups self-rising white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 small onion, diced (optional)*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- Vegetable oil
How to Make It
Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
Add buttermilk and bacon drippings to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a large Dutch oven; heat to 350°.
Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil, and fry, in batches, 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
* 1/2 teaspoon onion powder may be substituted for onion.