An avid hunter, this reader devised this stew to showcase his catch which is usually duck. We found a combination of chicken and supermarket duck a fine substitute, or use all chicken. Make this a day ahead to allow the flavors to blossom and so you can skim the fat from the top. Use reserved Crisp Croutons to top the stew.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 548
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 16.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 55g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 12g
- Cholesterol: 195mg
- Iron: 8mg
- Sodium: 659mg
- Calcium: 128mg
- 1 pound dried cranberry, Great Northern, or navy beans
- 11 cups water, divided
- 2 1/2 cups (1-inch) chopped peeled rutabaga or turnip
- 3 cups (1-inch) cubed red or Yukon gold potato
- 3 cups quartered cremini or button mushrooms (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 (5 3/4- to 6 1/4-pound) dressed domestic duck, fresh or thawed
- 2 chicken drumsticks (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 chicken thighs (about 3/4 pound)
- 9 ounces sweet turkey Italian sausage or smoked turkey and duck sausages (such as Gerhard's)
- 3 cups Cabernet or other dry red wine, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried summer savory
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 (14 1/4-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups Crisp Croutons
- Fresh parsley sprigs (optional)
- Sort and wash beans, and place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans, and bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain the beans, and place beans in pan. Add 8 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover and cook 1 hour or until just slightly firm. Drain and set aside.
- Place 3 cups water in a large stockpot; bring to a boil. Add rutabaga, and cook 5 minutes. Add the potato, mushrooms, onion, carrot, and celery, and return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until crisp-tender. Set aside (do not drain).
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from duck. Rinse duck with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Cut duck into 8 pieces. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add duck pieces; sauté 5 minutes on each side or until well browned. Remove from pan. Add chicken pieces; sauté 5 minutes on each side or until well browned. Remove from pan. Add sausage; sauté 10 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan, and let cool. Slice sausage into 18 (1-inch) pieces.
- Carefully add 1/4 cup wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits, and add pan drippings to stockpot with vegetables. Add the beans, duck, chicken, sausage, 2 3/4 cups wine, chopped parsley, vinegar, savory, thyme, salt, pepper, and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Cover stew, and chill 8 to 24 hours.
- Skim solidified fat from surface; discard. Reheat over medium heat; stirring often to prevent scorching. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Sprinkle stew with Crisp Croutons, and garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
- Totals include Crisp Croutons
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note