You can pick up jars of preserved lemon at Middle Eastern markets, or prepare our Quick Preserved Lemons (find the recipe at CookingLight.com). Be sure to use tahini made with toasted sesame seeds for the best flavor. Serve as a dip with pita bread.
Cooking Light DECEMBER 2008
1. Sort and wash chickpeas; place in a bowl. Cover chickpeas with water to 2 inches above chickpeas; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain.
2. Combine chickpeas and 6 cups water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours or until very tender. Drain in a colander over a bowl; reserve 2/3 cup cooking liquid.
3. Place tomatoes in a bowl; cover with boiling water. Cover and let stand 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Set aside 1 tablespoon tomatoes.
4. Combine chickpeas, reserved 2/3 cup cooking liquid, tahini, juice, salt, cumin, pepper, and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth.
5. Stir in tomatoes and 1 tablespoon preserved lemon. Spoon mixture onto a serving plate; spread to a 3/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle with reserved 1 tablespoon tomatoes, remaining 1 tablespoon preserved lemon, and parsley. Drizzle with oil.
Go to Full Version of