This hummus is fabulous! I omitted cumin, which would have ruined it, and used oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (if using, blot well). This is now my hummus recipe. The preserved lemons make it.
Hummus with Preserved Lemon and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 105
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 12.5g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 229mg
- Calcium: 29mg
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons diced preserved lemon, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1. Sort and wash chickpeas; place in a bowl. Cover chickpeas with water to 2 inches above chickpeas; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain.
- 2. Combine chickpeas and 6 cups water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours or until very tender. Drain in a colander over a bowl; reserve 2/3 cup cooking liquid.
- 3. Place tomatoes in a bowl; cover with boiling water. Cover and let stand 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Set aside 1 tablespoon tomatoes.
- 4. Combine chickpeas, reserved 2/3 cup cooking liquid, tahini, juice, salt, cumin, pepper, and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth.
- 5. Stir in tomatoes and 1 tablespoon preserved lemon. Spoon mixture onto a serving plate; spread to a 3/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle with reserved 1 tablespoon tomatoes, remaining 1 tablespoon preserved lemon, and parsley. Drizzle with oil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Hummus with Preserved Lemon and Sun-Dried Tomatoes Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Appetizers