These are weird but kinda awesome. We were very skeptical, but somehow it works! Nice meatless alternative to the usual.
Hummus "Cheesesteak" Hoagies
Photo: José Picayo
More From Cooking Light
Total: 18 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 410
- Fat: 20.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 12.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Protein: 14.3g
- Carbohydrate: 49.8g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 807mg
- Calcium: 161mg
- 4 (3-ounce) hoagie rolls, split
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup vertically sliced yellow onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced poblano chile
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) container plain hummus
- 4 (1/2-ounce) slices provolone cheese
- Napa Cabbage Slaw
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Place rolls, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Broil 1 minute or until toasted.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper); sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 4. Spread about 1/4 cup hummus over bottom half of each roll; top with 1/2 cup onion mixture and 1 cheese slice. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Top hoagies with top halves of rolls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note