I had the same problem that it never seemed to get cooked in the middle even after multiple time of adding 8-10 minutes and rechecking. Very dense and heavy cake and still not cooked inside - although mu kids LOVE it. Don't know if it was due to the following - substituted Namaste gluten free flour blend cup for cup; used 1 1/2 cups of sugar; adde more cinnamon; 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1/2 cup applesauce in place of 3/4 cup of oil. Added some chocolate chips to one part of the cake - EXCELLENT!. Next time will NOT add the pineapple juice as indicated - way too wet. The taste was great - but will tweak next time. While we LOVE coconut oil, I do find it makes things denser, so will use less next time.
Hummingbird Bundt Cake
From pineapple to cream cheese, Hummingbird Bundt Cake has the same ingredients as the original popular layer cake but simplified by baking in a Bundt pan.
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 45 Minutes
- Cake Batter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 large)
- 1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1. Prepare Cake Batter: Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- 2. Stir together flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in eggs and next 4 ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Sprinkle 1 cup toasted pecans into a greased and floured 14-cup Bundt pan. Spoon batter over pecans.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 2 hours).
- 4. Prepare Glaze: Process cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 Tbsp. milk in a food processor until well blended. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. milk, 1 tsp. at a time, processing until smooth. Immediately pour glaze over cooled cake, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup toasted pecans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note