This was really good! I added in onion and a little cayenne pepper and used flour instead of corn tortillas. I also had no idea what the recipe was talking about with cooking the eggs so I just cooked them separately and it turned out fine. Excellent recipe!
Huevos Rancheros with Zucchini and Green Pepper
Entertain at brunch with this casual main dish. Serve a pineapple and melon compote on the side tossed with fresh mint sprigs.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 248
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 13.2g
- Carbohydrate: 31.5g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 214mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 679mg
- Calcium: 155mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup (1 1/4 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and bell pepper; sauté 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Add water and next 4 ingredients (water through tomatoes). Stir to combine. Cover and simmer 3 minutes.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Break 1 egg into a small custard cup. Slip egg onto tomato mixture; repeat procedure with remaining eggs. Cover and simmer 3 minutes or until eggs are done. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 30 seconds or until cheese melts.
- Place 1 tortilla on each of 4 plates. Spoon 1 egg and 3/4 cup tomato mixture onto each tortilla. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch