Huevos Rancheros con Bacon
Gilbert Flores, a longtime reader from Visalia, California, shared this recipe. The sauce is easy to make, and in summer, you could double the fresh tomato and skip the canned sauce. No matter what time of year you make it, don't skip the bacon.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 256
- Calories from fat: 57%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 5.3g
- Carbohydrate: 7.4g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 826mg
- Cholesterol: 390mg
- 8 ounces thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-in. dice
- 1 jalapeño chile, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 8 large eggs
- Warm tortillas and refried beans
- 1. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, turning often, until almost crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels.
- 2. Drain most of fat from pan and reserve. Add onion, pepper, and chile to pan and cook until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomato, tomato sauce, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer.
- 3. Meanwhile, working in batches, heat a little reserved fat and fry the eggs in a large nonstick frying pan (discard the rest of fat). Set tortillas on each plate and top with 2 eggs. Spoon sauce over eggs and crumble bacon on top. Serve huevos rancheros with refried beans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note