Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia DeGaris Pursell
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 47 Minutes
- 1 (1-pound) package hot ground pork sausage or chorizo
- 2 cups refrigerated prechopped bell pepper-and-onion mix
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (16-oz.) cans pinto beans, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup pico de gallo or chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chipotle hot sauce
- Garnish: fresh cilantro sprig
- 1. Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove sausage from skillet using a slotted spoon; reserve drippings in skillet. Spoon sausage into a 6-qt. oval-shaped slow cooker. Sauté bell pepper mix in drippings over medium-high heat 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans, cumin, and oregano; spoon over sausage in cooker.
- 2. Meanwhile, tear 4 tortillas into pieces; stir into bean mixture in cooker. Cover and cook on High 3 hours.
- 3. Make 6 indentations in top of bean mixture in slow cooker, using back of a spoon. Break eggs, one at a time, into a measuring cup; slip eggs, one at a time, into indentations. Cover and cook on High 20 to 30 minutes or until eggs are desired degree of doneness. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Turn off slow cooker; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450°. Arrange remaining 6 tortillas on a large baking sheet. Coat both sides with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 10 to 11 minutes. Stir together pico de gallo, 1/4 cup cilantro, and hot sauce.
- 5. Place tortillas on a platter. Top each tortilla with bean mixture, egg, and pico de gallo mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note