It's tough to improve on the classic Mexican farm breakfast. I kept the salsa rustic here by blackening the tomatoes and jalapeños in a cast-iron skillet. To trim calories, only one corn tortilla accompanies each set of eggs, but you could easily serve two instead. You could also add some sliced avocado.
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 1 Hour, 7 Minutes
- Calories: 311
- Fat: 15.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Protein: 19.3g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 377mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 634mg
- Calcium: 149mg
- 2 large tomatoes (1 pound)
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth or organic vegetable broth
- 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 ounces queso fresco or Cotija cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup fat-free refried beans, warmed
- 1. Heat a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add whole tomatoes and jalapeño pepper; cook 13 minutes or until blackened and charred, turning occasionally. Remove from pan; cool 10 minutes. Peel and discard skins from tomatoes and pepper. Core tomatoes; remove stem and seeds from pepper.
- 2. Place pepper, tomatoes, and any juices in a blender; process 5 seconds or just until mixture is chunky.
- 3. Heat pan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 3/4 cup onion; sauté 6 minutes or until browned. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add tomato mixture, and cook 2 to 5 minutes or until slightly thick. Stir in broth; cook 7 to 10 minutes or until thick but still easily pourable. Remove from heat; stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover and keep warm.
- 4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 corn tortillas and a few drops of water; cook 1 minute on each side or until thoroughly heated. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas. Wrap in foil; keep warm.
- 5. Heat pan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 4 eggs; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until whites are set. Carefully remove from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 teaspoon oil, 4 eggs, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- 6. Place 1 tortilla on each of 4 plates; top each tortilla with 2 eggs and 6 tablespoons tomato salsa. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon of remaining onion, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and about 2 tablespoons cheese. Serve each with 2 tablespoons refried beans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note