Huckleberry Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups huckleberries or blueberries
- Cream shortening in a bowl; gradually add sugar, beating well. Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Add to creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff but not dry. Fold egg whites and berries into batter. Spoon into a greased 9- inch square baking pan. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into squares, and serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note