Huckleberry BBQ Sauce
This recipe, from chef David Kreifels of Laurelhurst Market in Portland, goes with Smoked Ribs with Huckleberry BBQ Sauce.
This recipe goes with Smoked Ribs with Huckleberry BBQ Sauce
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 45 Minutes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 cup fresh or frozen huckleberries* or blueberries
- 1. In a medium saucepan, cook onion in oil over medium heat until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in salt, chili powder, dry mustard, pepper, chile flakes, and cumin. Cook until seasonings are fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, and molasses. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- 2. Add berries and simmer gently, uncovered, until softened, 25 minutes. Purée most of sauce in a blender, then stir into remaining sauce.
- *Buy from specialty produce markets or nwwildfoods.com, or pick your own in the wild from August through October.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note