How To Prepare Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium-size sweet potatoes
- Butter or margarine
- To Clean: Wash sweet potatoes in cold water; scrub vigorously using a vegetable brush. Rinse and drain. Sweet potatoes, like Irish potatoes, should be cooked whole without peeling when possible because most of the nutrients are next to the skin; they are also difficult to peel when raw. Sweet potatoes will darken rapidly after being pared raw but may be held briefly in lightly salted water until cooking time.
- To Bake: Place potatoes on center rack in oven. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until potatoes yield slightly to pressure.
- Cut a slit in the top of each potato. Press sides to loosen inside of potato. Add butter to taste.
- To Boil: Combine scrubbed whole potatoes and water to cover in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool slightly. Peel skins from potatoes; discard skin. Cut potatoes into cubes or slices, or cut into cubes and mash. Add butter to taste.
- Other Cooking Methods: Fry; deep-fry.
- Serving Suggestions: Sweet potatoes may be served with Drawn Butter or with any sour cream sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This