How To Prepare Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium-size sweet potatoes
- Butter or margarine
- To Clean: Wash sweet potatoes in cold water; scrub vigorously using a vegetable brush. Rinse and drain. Sweet potatoes, like Irish potatoes, should be cooked whole without peeling when possible because most of the nutrients are next to the skin; they are also difficult to peel when raw. Sweet potatoes will darken rapidly after being pared raw but may be held briefly in lightly salted water until cooking time.
- To Bake: Place potatoes on center rack in oven. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until potatoes yield slightly to pressure.
- Cut a slit in the top of each potato. Press sides to loosen inside of potato. Add butter to taste.
- To Boil: Combine scrubbed whole potatoes and water to cover in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool slightly. Peel skins from potatoes; discard skin. Cut potatoes into cubes or slices, or cut into cubes and mash. Add butter to taste.
- Other Cooking Methods: Fry; deep-fry.
- Serving Suggestions: Sweet potatoes may be served with Drawn Butter or with any sour cream sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note