How To Prepare Fresh Green Peas
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 pounds fresh green peas (about 4 cups shelled)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- To Shell: Fresh green peas or English peas should be shelled before cooking. Simply snap off the top of the pod, and pull the string down the side of the pod. Remove peas, and rinse in cold water; drain. (For sugar or edible- pod peas remove the tips and rinse in cold water.)
- To Boil: Fill a large Dutch oven half full of water; add salt and bring to a rolling boil. Add shelled peas; bring back to a boil. Cook 6 minutes or until peas are tender. Drain well. Season and serve immediately.
- Note: If green peas are to be served cold in salads, drop cooked peas immediately into cold water. Cool completely. Drain well.
- Other Cooking Methods: Poêle; simmer; steam.
- Serving Suggestions: Green peas may be served with butter and seasonings to taste or with any of the following: Drawn Butter, French Dressing, Lemon- Butter Sauce, Oil and Lemon Sauce, or any sour cream or white sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables