Hot Tomato Grits
- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chiles
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Garnishes: chopped tomato, cooked and crumbled bacon, shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a heavy saucepan until crisp, reserving drippings in pan. Gradually add broth and salt; bring to a boil.
- Stir in grits, tomato, and chiles; return to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in cheese; cover and let stand 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: To decrease fat and calories, drain bacon on paper towels discarding drippings, substitute reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese for regular.
1995 Recipe Hall of Fame
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch