- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2-oz.) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chiles
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Garnishes: chopped fresh parsley, shredded Cheddar cheese
How to Make It
Cook bacon in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving drippings in pan. Drain bacon on paper towels.
Gradually add chicken broth and salt to hot drippings in pan; bring to a boil. Stir in grits, tomatoes, and green chiles; return to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 15 to 20 minutes.
Stir in Cheddar cheese until melted. Top with chopped bacon. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.