- 2 to 2 1/2 dozen dried corn husks
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- Place corn husks in a large container; cover with hot water. Let stand 1 to 2 hours or until softened. Drain well; pat dry.
- Combine meat, chili powder, and 1 tablespoon salt; mix well.
- Combine cornmeal, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, shortening, and boiling water in a large mixing bowl; stir until shortening melts and mixture is well blended.
- Place 2 tablespoons cornmeal mixture down center of each husk; spread to within 1/2 inch of edge. Place 2 tablespoons meat mixture on cornmeal, spreading evenly. Fold sides of husk to center, enclosing filling completely. Fold pointed end under; tie with string or strips of corn husk. (If husks are too narrow, overlap 2 husks to make a wide one. If husks are too wide, tear off one side.)
- Layer tamales in a large Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 40 minutes. Drain well. Serve tamales in husks. Remove husks before eating.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This