Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup with Jasmine Rice
- 1 1/4 cups Thai jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 pound medium shrimp
- shelled and deveined, shells reserved
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/4 pound snow peas, julienned
- 1 medium tomato, cut into thin wedges
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large scallion, thinly sliced
- 1. In a medium saucepan, cover the rice with 1 3/4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over very low heat for 12 minutes. Remove from the heat without lifting the lid and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Using a fork, fluff the rice, then cover and set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cover the shrimp shells with 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Strain the broth and return it to the saucepan.
- 3. Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the garlic; cook over low heat until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper. Scrape the garlic oil into a bowl.
- 4. Bring the shrimp broth to a boil. Add the snow peas and tomato and simmer over moderately high heat for 1 minute. Add the shrimp and cook just until opaque throughout and curled, about 1 minute. Stir in the garlic oil, fish sauce, cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, pepper and scallion. Spoon the rice into deep bowls, ladle the soup over it and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews