Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Kevin Crafts
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 160
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 3.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrate: 8.4g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Sodium: 601mg
- Cholesterol: 121mg
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 or 2 serrano chiles, halved lengthwise
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 slices (1/4 in. thick) fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-in. dice
- 4 button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red jalapeño chile, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound small (about 50 per lb.) raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce
- About 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, coarsely chopped
- 1. Trim green tips from lemongrass and peel off tough outer layer from each. Mash stalks with a meat mallet or rolling pin, then tie each stalk in a knot. Put in a small pot, add chicken broth, serrano chile, shallot, and ginger, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes.
- 2. Remove lemongrass, serrano chile, and ginger from pot and discard. Add zucchini, mushrooms, jalapeño chile, and shrimp. Turn off heat and let steep until shrimp is just cooked through, 2 minutes.
- 3. Stir in fish sauce, 1 tbsp. vinegar, the cilantro, and dill. Add more vinegar to taste, if you like.
- 4. Divide among 4 bowls and serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note