Hot Slaw à la Greyhound Grill
More From Southern Living
Other Time: 5 Minutes
- 1/2 large red cabbage (about 1 1/2 lb.), shredded
- 1/2 large green cabbage (about 1 1/2 lb.), shredded
- 4 thick bacon slices, diced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pepper vinegar to taste (optional)
- 1. Bring 3 1/2 qt. water to a boil in a large stockpot. Cook shredded cabbage in boiling water 4 minutes or just until it turns a dull gray purple. Remove from heat; drain well.
- 2. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-low heat 8 minutes or just until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- 3. Stir cider vinegar, celery seeds, and red pepper into hot drippings, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Stir in cabbage, salt, black pepper, and bacon; cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until cabbage is tender and red cabbage turns a bright magenta color. Place mixture in a serving dish, and, if desired, sprinkle with pepper vinegar to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables