Hot Slaw à la Greyhound Grill
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 large red cabbage (about 1 1/2 lb.), shredded
- 1/2 large green cabbage (about 1 1/2 lb.), shredded
- 4 thick-cut bacon slices, diced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pepper vinegar to taste (optional)
- 1. Bring 3 1/2 qt. water to a boil in a large stockpot. Cook shredded cabbage in boiling water 4 minutes or just until it turns a dull gray purple. Remove from heat; drain well.
- 2. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-low heat 8 minutes or just until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Stir in cider vinegar, celery seeds, and red pepper, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Stir in cabbage, salt, black pepper, and bacon; cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until cabbage is tender and red cabbage turns a bright magenta color. Place mixture in a serving dish, and, if desired, sprinkle with pepper vinegar to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables