Hot Sauce Fried Chicken with Pickled Okra Slaw
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
- 6 (4-oz.) chicken breast cutlets
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 30 saltine crackers, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup hot sauce
- Peanut oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (16-oz.) package shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup sliced pickled okra
- 1 (4-oz.) jar diced pimiento, drained
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Place 1/2 cup flour in a shallow dish. Stir together cracker crumbs, baking powder, and remaining 3/4 cup flour in a second shallow dish. Whisk together eggs and hot sauce in a third shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour, dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cracker mixture, pressing to adhere.
- 2. Pour oil to depth of 1 inch into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; heat to 360°. Fry half of chicken 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and done. Repeat procedure with remaining half of chicken.
- 3. Stir together sour cream, sugar, and remaining 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Toss together coleslaw mix, pickled okra, diced pimiento, and sour cream mixture. Serve slaw and chicken with additional hot sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes