Will make this again. Sweet and sour flavor. Made as written and after tasting, I added an extra teaspoon of sugar as it was a little too "sour". This would also be good with figs.
Hot Plum and Spinach Salad
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 144
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 4.5g
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 10g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Sodium: 324mg
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- 4 slices (1/4 lb.) thick-cut bacon
- 8 cups (about 1/2 lb.) baby spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
- 2 firm-ripe red-skin plums (about 1/2 lb. total)
- 4 teaspoons coarse-grain Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1. Cut bacon crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan, stir bacon frequently until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to drain on towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in pan.
- 2. Put spinach in a large bowl. Rinse and pit plums and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- 3. Set pan with drippings over high heat. Add mustard, vinegar, and sugar; stir, then add plums. Heat until boiling, about 1 minute; turn plums over once.
- 4. Pour hot plum mixture over spinach. Mix and lift with salad fork and spoon. Sprinkle with bacon and add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads