- 2 serrano chiles or jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 4 thick slices red onion or sweet onion
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 4 slices colby-Jack cheese with peppers
- 4 tomato slices
- 1 sliced peeled avocado
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeño pepper slices
- Mayonnaise (optional)
How to Make It
Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°). Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add sirloin, stirring until combined. Shape mixture into 4 large patties. Chill until ready to cook.
Grill onion slices on well-greased grill grates 4 minutes on each side. Grill buns, cut sides down, 1 minute or until toasted.
Grill patties 5 minutes; carefully turn, and grill 3 more minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Top each patty with 1 cheese slice during last 1 minute of grilling time.
Top bun bottoms evenly with tomato slices, burgers, avocado slices, grilled onions, and pickled jalapeño slices. Spread bun tops with mayonnaise, if desired.