Hot Mulled Wine (Glühwein, "glow wine")
Community Recipe from
- 1 bottle(s) red wine
- 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 2-3 tablespoon(s) natural honey or sugar to taste
- 3 cloves
- 1 Lemon Sliced
- Heat the red wine in a pot (don't boil). Cut the lemon into slices and add to the wine. Then add the cinnamon, cloves, sugar and a little cardamom (to taste). Heat everything for about 5 minutes - do not boil - and let stand for about an hour. Before serving, reheat and strain. Serve in prewarmed glasses or mugs.
- If you wish to get your friends and yourself tipsy even more quickly, or just to add a little extra kick, add brandy, sweet sherry or port to the mix. (optional but rather tasty)
- Sometimes I like to add berries, which soak up the alcohol quite nicely and add to the cuteness of the drink.
- Also, in a more glögg-esque version (The Swedish version of glühwein/mulled wine), having this with gingerbread is quite yummy.
- I have also tried some consisting of amaretto with white wine instead, and that was also delicious - I'll post this and other variations on the Glühwein theme in the future, so keep an eye out!
This recipe is a personal recipe added by KimandKellie and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Hot Mulled Wine (Glühwein, "glow wine") Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Beverages, Alcoholic