- 7 large ripe heirloom tomatoes, cored and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup small cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup fresh shelled lady peas (about 6 ounces) or black-eyed peas, rinsed well and drained
- 1 (6-ounce) smoked ham hock
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 thyme sprig
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk, divided
- 2.25 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup coarse-ground cornmeal
- 30 whole baby okra, trimmed
- 3 applewood-smoked bacon slices, cooked and coarsely crumbled
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 6 tablespoons torn fresh basil
- calories 357
- fat 20.6 g
- satfat 5.3 g
- monofat 7.8 g
- polyfat 3.7 g
- protein 10.7 g
- carbohydrate 35.5 g
- fiber 6.5 g
- cholesterol 17 mg
- iron 2.2 mg
- sodium 419 mg
- calcium 69 mg
How to Make It
Sprinkle cut sides of tomatoes with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt; drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and vinegar. Set aside.
Combine peas, ham hock, onion, and thyme in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; simmer 15 minutes or until peas are just tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; drain and cool. Discard ham hock, onion, and thyme.
Clip a candy/fry thermometer onto the side of a large skillet; add 2 cups peanut oil to pan. Heat peanut oil to 350°. Place 1/4 cup buttermilk in a shallow dish. Combine flour, cornmeal, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a shallow dish, stirring well. Dip okra in buttermilk; dredge in flour mixture. Place okra in hot oil; fry 2 minutes or until golden, making sure oil temperature remains at 350°. Remove okra using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
Divide tomato slices evenly among 6 plates; top each serving evenly with cherry tomatoes. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons peas over each tomato stack. Arrange 5 pieces fried okra on each serving; sprinkle evenly with bacon.
Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk, chives, and garlic in a small bowl. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and juice; stir well with a whisk. Gradually add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, while whisking vigorously. Stir in crème fraîche. Drizzle 2 tablespoons dressing mixture over each serving; top with 1 tablespoon basil.