Easy and very tasty. Would definitely make it again. Followed the recipe exactly, though the amaranth package suggested a slightly longer cooking time. 10 minutes left it with a little crunch - if you like your grains softer, cook longer (may need a bit more wtaer).
Hot Fruit & Spice Cereal
Time: 20 minutes. The fine-grain crunch of amaranth makes a nice substitute for granola in these parfaits. You can cook the amaranth ahead and assemble the parfaits at serving time, but we also like the grain served hot as a contrast to the cool yogurt.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 359
- Calories from fat: 8%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 74g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Sodium: 34mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 cup amaranth grain*
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring amaranth, cinnamon, and 2/3 cup water to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook 10 minutes. Let cool slightly. Discard cinnamon.
- 2. In a microwave-safe container, microwave dried fruit, honey, and 2 tbsp. water until warm, about 30 seconds.
- 3. Mix 1 tbsp. honey liquid from the fruit into yogurt. Divide yogurt between 2 dishes, top each with half of amaranth, then half of honeyed fruit.
- *Buy in boxes or in bulk at well-stocked groceries and natural-foods stores.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch