Hot Date Ice Cream Sundaes
This is our banana-enriched version of the Hot Date sundae, served at Poppy restaurant in Seattle. Add a shot of rum to make this even more provocative.
More From Sunset
Freeze: 3 Hours
- Calories: 832
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 8.1g
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated fat: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 134g
- Fiber: 8.8g
- Sodium: 244mg
- Cholesterol: 98mg
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled
- 3 1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups (10 oz.) Medjool dates, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup cold whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces moist, dark store-bought or homemade banana bread, cut into 1-in. cubes (about 5 cups)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1. Purée 2 bananas, 2 tsp. sugar, and the lemon juice in a food processor. In a large bowl, fold purée into ice cream, leaving streaks. Freeze until firm, 3 hours.
- 2. Melt butter, brown sugar, and salt in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add dates and 1/2 cup water and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Whisk cream with remaining 1 1/2 tsp. sugar and the vanilla in a bowl until soft peaks form.
- 4. Divide bread among 4 bowls. Slice remaining banana. Scoop ice cream into bowls and top with banana, dates and sauce, whipped cream, and nuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note